The big story featuring the Men’s and Women’s basketball teams from the United States of America is where they are going to be staying in Rio. Most people assume that the Americans will run away with the Gold medals in both of these tournaments but they have decided against staying in the Olympic Village. Saying that the village isn’t up to the standard that they expect, all of the US basketball players and staff will be staying on a yacht!
The Silver Cloud liner, which is a luxury cruise line, will be moored just off of the coast of Rio and this will be the home of the US basketball squads during the tournament. The liner boasts of casinos, libraries, beauty salons and four separate fine dining restaurants and it looks to be a fitting home for the teams that are all set to take Brazil by storm in August.
Star names demand star quality
There are some concerns over the Zika virus, which has decimated the line-up for the golf tournament in Rio, and the safety of staying in Rio is no doubt another consideration. The teams that pay the wages of the key players will be happy at the luxury settings for their players, but whether it impacts on their ability to play or not remains to be seen. There should be no excuses for either American side failing to clinch a gold medal in Brazil.
The 12 players in the USA 2016 Men’s Olympic Basketball Roster are:
- Jimmy Butler – Chicago Bulls
- Kevin Durant – Golden State Warriors
- DeAndre Jordan – Los Angeles Clippers
- Kyle Lowry – Toronto Raptors
- Harrison Barnes – Dallas Mavericks
- DeMar DeRozan – Toronto Raptors
- Kyrie Irving – Cleveland Cavaliers
- Klay Thompson – Golden State Warriors
- DeMarcus Cousins – Sacramento Kings
- Paul George – Indiana Pacers
- Draymond Green – Golden State Warriors
- Carmelo Anthony – New York Knicks
The 12 players in the USA 2016 Women’s Olympic Basketball Roster are:
- Lindsay Whalen – Minnesota Lynx
- Seimone Augustus – Minnesota Lynx
- Sue Bird – Seattle Storm
- Maya Moore – Minnesota Lynx
- Angel McCoughtry – Atlanta Dream
- Breanna Stewart – Seattle Storm
- Tamika Catchings – Indiana Fever
- Elena Delle Donne – Chicago Sky
- Diana Taurasi – Phoenix Mercury
- Sylvia Fowles – Minnesota Lynx
- Tina Charles – New York Liberty
- Brittney Griner – Phoenix Mercury
There is a considerable level of experience in both of these squads and many observers are suggesting that this could be the best Women’s Basketball side the USA has ever had. When you consider that Team USA has won the last 5 women’s tournaments and 7 of the last 8, there have been a lot of strong US female basketball teams to think about.
The USA Men’s team are listed at 1.050 to win their tournament and the USA Women’s team is listed at 1.10 to win their tournament. There isn’t a great deal of value to be found in backing either of the American squads to take the gold in Rio but when it comes to the individual games, there will be plenty of basketball bets involving the Americans which will be of interest.