2016 Olympic Games Women’s Basketball Tournament
When it comes to basketball action at the 2016 Olympic Games, there is double the action and fun for basketball fans. This is because there is also a Women’s tournament in the 2016 Rio Games. This is also great news for basketball betting fans because there are going to be plenty of basketball betting opportunities available on the women’s tournament at the 2016 Olympic Games in Brazil.
The tournament features 12 teams, which are:
- United States of America – Qualified as 2014 FIBA World Championship winners
- Serbia – Qualified as EuroBasket 2015 winners
- Brazil – Qualified as host nation
- Canada – Qualified as 2015 FIBA Americas winners
- Australia – Qualified as 2015 FIBA Oceania winners
- Japan – Qualified as 2015 FIBA Asia winners
- Senegal – Qualified as AfroBasket 2015 winners
- Belarus – Qualified through 2016 FIBA Olympics Qualifying Tournament
- China – Qualified through 2016 FIBA Olympics Qualifying Tournament
- France – Qualified through 2016 FIBA Olympics Qualifying Tournament
- Spain – Qualified through 2016 FIBA Olympics Qualifying Tournament
- Turkey – Qualified through 2016 FIBA Olympics Qualifying Tournament
All of the group games at the 2016 Olympic Games Women’s Basketball tournament will be played at the Youth Arena, located in Deodoro, in Rio de Janeiro. This venue has a capacity of 5,000. The knock-out stage games will all be held at Carioca Arena 1, which is scheduled to have a capacity of 16,000 for the Olympic Games.
The twelve teams have been split into two groups with the top four teams progressing from both groups.
Group A Consists of:
The games in Group A will take place between the 6th and 13th of August.
Group B consists of:
- United States of America
The games in Group B will take place between the 6th and 14th of August.
The four quarter-finals take place on the 16th of August and the schedule is as follows:
- Winners Group A v Fourth placed team from Group B – Quarter-Final 1
- Runners Up Group B v Third placed team from Group A – Quarter-Final 2
- Runners Up Group A v Third placed team from Group B – Quarter-Final 3
- Winners Group B v Fourth placed team from Group A – Quarter-Final 4
The two semi-final games take place on the 18th of August and sees:
- Winner of Quarter-Final 1 v Winner of Quarter-Final 2 – Semi-Final 1
- Winner of Quarter-Final 3 v Winner of Quarter-Final 4 – Semi-Final 2
The Bronze and Gold medal matches take place on the 20th of August with:
- Bronze medal match: Loser of Semi-Final 1 v Loser of Semi-Final 2
- Gold medal match: Winner of Semi-Final 1 v Winner of Semi-Final 2
As with the Men’s tournament, Team USA are currently ranked as clear favourites to take the Gold Medal. If you want to back the favourites, you will find little value in USA at odds of 1.10. The team backed to run the Americans the closest are Australia and they can be backed at 9.50. The rank outsiders, listed at 501.00 are Japan and Senegal.
We will take you through the range of basketball betting for the Women’s Olympic Games in greater detail but this information should be more than enough to get you started. With men and women’s basketball on offer throughout the 2016 Rio Games, basketball fans have plenty to enjoy this summer.